Fisk University 144th Annual Commencement 2018
Monday, May 7, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.
Location: The Temple Church, 3810 Kings Ln, Nashville, TN 37218
Graduate Traditions and Decorum
Graduation Day is a time of grandeur which requires each graduate to adhere to the following:
- All male graduating seniors are required to wear dark suits, dark ties, black dress shoes, and dark socks. Other than a watch, no jewelry should be worn. The hairstyle should be one that can be neatly contained under the mortarboard (cap). The gown should be free of wrinkles, i.e., ironed.
- All female graduating seniors are required to wear daytime, knee or tea length black dresses or suits (no spandex or glitter); and black leather, closed toe and heel shoes. Females may also wear small ball earrings (such as pearls). The hairstyle should be one that can be neatly contained under the mortarboard (cap). The gown should be free of wrinkles, i.e., ironed
- It is required that each graduate comes to commencement in the appropriate attire and regalia. Kente, fraternity or sorority stoles are permitted; however they must be worn underneath the robe. If the attire and regalia are not appropriate, the graduate will comply immediately or be removed from the line and will not be allowed to cross the stage.
In an effort to have a graduation ceremony that is both memorable and safe, Fisk University requests your cooperation regarding the following:
- Cell phones, blackberries, iPods, pagers and other electronic devices must be turned off when the ceremony begins.
- Graduation Cap Photographing during commencement is strongly discouraged. The University has provided an official photographer to take pictures as candidates cross the stage. Therefore, it is requested that family members not approach the stage or enter the aisle as the graduate approaches the stage to receive the degree.
- Ticket information will be provided at a later time.
- The expected decorum of each graduate is that of consideration and celebration. Be considerate of all who have come to this important occasion and allow all to celebrate by hearing and seeing their loved ones. Once the graduate is introduced, all others should remain seated so that the graduates can be seen and their names heard when called. Keep undue noise and clamor to an absolute minimum.
|April 14||Last day to get financial clearance for graduation|
|April 19||Last Day of Classes|
|April 21-24||Senior Exams|
|April 26||Mandatory Senior Class Commencement Rehearsal 1, 3:00 - 5:00 pm (Fisk University Chapel)|
|April 28||Mandatory Senior Class Commencement Rehearsal 2, 3:00 - 5:00 pm (Location: TBA)|
|April 30||Baccalaureate Service at 10:00am Fisk Memorial Chapel and Presidential Baccalaureate Reception for Seniors and Families (Spence Dining Hall)|
|April 30||Class Photo 9:00 am, Steps behind Cravath Hall (Between The Little Theatre and Talley-Brady Hall)|
|May 1||Commencement 10:00am - The Temple Church, 3810 Kings Lane, Nashville, TN|
A student will be awarded a degree from the university provided he/she:
- Is in good academic and financial standing.
- Has completed the Core Curriculum, 33 hours of prescribed, common study in the liberal arts.
- Has completed the Foreign Language Requirement - 3 semesters of college study, or equivalent, in one foreign language.
- Has met the computer proficiency requirement in basic proficiency in the areas of: word processing, spreadsheet development, electronic presentations, email, and the Internet OR successful completion of BAD 110 or CSCI 100.
- Has completed program of study for an academic major.
- Has completed at least 120 total credit hours - disregard Math 100, student teaching and internships (only 4 of 12 hrs count for PSCI 310).
- Have grades of "C" or better in major, cognates, and minor required courses.
- Has a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 for all academic work.
- Meets the residency requirement - minimum of 6(4) semesters for students who entered as freshmen (transfer students); final 30 hours of work at FISK; three-fourths of work in major completed at FISK for transfer students.
- Has completed all degree requirements within 12 semesters of full-time study.
- Has taken Academic Profile Examination.
- Has taken Senior Exit Examination
- Has turned in Application for Degree by deadline prior to intended graduation
- Has been financially cleared by the Business Office.
Please note that students who are planning to graduate on May 7, 2018, must have all incomplete grades and all other deficiencies removed by April 21, 2018.