Parent PLUS Loan
A Parent PLUS Loan may have been offered to your student. While we award the Parent PLUS loan based on unmet need, in order to receive the loan, the parent must be approved by the Department of Education. Parent PLUS loans are taken by the parent for the student. The parent, NOT the student, completes the application. You, the parent, will need the following:
- The parent FSA ID (Federal Student Aid ID and password; same as the one used on the FAFSA)
- Parent social security number and date of birth
- Permanent Address and Mailing Address
- Telephone number
- E-mail Address
- Alien Registration Number (if eligible non-citizen)
- Employer Name and Address
- Student name, social security #, date of birth
- Student address (if different from parent)
Steps to Applying for the Parent PLUS Loan
Step 1- Go to the Direct Loan website, which is www.studentloans.gov
Step 2- The PARENT should sign in using their FSA ID and Password. If you are unsure of this information, you can retrieve it through www.fsaid.ed.gov .
- Sign in by clicking the green “Sign In” button
- The parent applying should enter their SSN, first two letters of their last name, date of birth and PIN
Step 3- After signing in, click “Request a PLUS” on the center of the page. Completing this portion will allow the Department of Education to perform a credit check to determine your eligibility for the loan.
Step 4- Once the PLUS request is submitted, the parent will be notified if the credit has been approved.
- If the credit was denied, the parent may apply with an endorser.
- If the parent chooses not to apply with an endorser, the school will be notified of the denial. Note: if denied, the student may be eligible for additional unsubsidized loan funds.
Step 5- If approved for the PLUS, the parent will need to complete a PLUS Master Promissory Note. On the Student Loans website, click “Complete a Master Promissory Note” followed by “Parent PLUS”
Step 6- Be sure to complete ALL the questions. You will need to read ALL the terms and conditions (click on the “+” by each category to read) in order to accept the terms. You will then need to “Sign” the MPN which is done by typing in your name and clicking “Sign”.
Step 7-You will receive a notification stating that your signature has been verified. After that, you will receive the notice. Click on the blue hyperlink for “Review Master Promissory Note”. This will open in a separate window. Review the information to be sure it is accurate, then close out the window and hit “Submit”.
Once all the steps have been completed, the information will be sent electronically to Fisk University.
Do I have to submit a Master Promissory Note if I….
- Previously borrowed a PLUS loan through Direct Loan for the same student?
o Generally no. However, if no loans were processed in the previous year, a new MPN will be required.
- Have never filed for a PLUS loan before?
o Yes, the loan will NOT disburse without a valid Master Promissory Note on file.
- Was credit denied previously?
o Yes. The MPN only remains official if a PLUS loan is processed within 1 year of the completing it, so if the parent was denied previously, a new MPN would need to be submitted since a PLUS loan would not have been processed on that MPN.
- Have an MPN on file for another student (sibling)?
o Yes, the MPN is tied to the parent AND the student, so for EACH student in school, a new MPN is required even if filing under the same parent
Should you have questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us directly at 615-329-8735 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.