Anisha Mittal and Jesus Murillo, graduating seniors at Fisk University, in Nashville, Tennessee and members of the W.E.B. Du Bois General University Honors Program, have been named finalists for the prestigious Rhodes Scholarship. Named after British colonial statesman Cecil J. Rhodes, the scholarship will fully fund 2-3 years of graduate study at the University of Oxford, in Oxford, England, in any field of interest to the scholarship winners. Since its launch over 115 years ago, the Rhodes Scholarship has become the most coveted of international scholarships. Famous U.S. Rhodes Scholars include former President Bill Clinton, current presidential hopefuls Cory Booker and Pete Buttigieg, ABC newscaster George Stephanopoulos, and former U.N. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice.
Mittal, who is from Dalton, Georgia, is majoring in biology with a minor in music and was named a Goldwater Scholar earlier this year. Murillo, a political science major from Visalia, California, serves as a student government leader and a chaplain's assistant at Fisk. Dr. Patrick C. Fleming, Director of the W.E.B. Du Bois Honors Program, remarked of the two honors students and Rhodes Scholarship finalists: “Anisha and Jesus are leaders on campus and in their community. Both are stellar students with the potential to be global leaders. Despite the university’s prestigious history and the superlative caliber of our students, no Fisk graduate has gone on to become a Rhodes Scholar – yet. The whole campus is pulling for Anisha and Jesus, and we wish them the best of luck!”
Mittal and Murillo are among approximately 240 students from the U.S. who have advanced to the final round of the competition. From this number, a total of 32 Americans will be named U.S. Rhodes Scholars. Mittal and Murillo will interview for the coveted prize on November 22nd and 23rd, 2019.
- Fisk University Selected as Host Institution for the 2020-2022 CLIR Postdoctoral Fellowship in Data Curation for African American Studies
- Fisk University Band Resurgence
- Fisk University’s New Social Justice Institute
- Two Fisk Students Named as Rhodes Scholarship Finalists
- The Fisk Honors Debate Team Scores First Place in New Orleans Competition
- National Book Foundation: Writing Survival Comes to Fisk University
- Fisk Welcomes New Faculty Members and Academic Administrators on Campus
- Kids Summer Fishing Program at Fisk University
- Fisk University Receives Approval to Offer Homeland Security
- Fisk University Participates In Coding Academy