Tanya Torres named 2017-2018 Student Government Association President
-Houston, TX native is the first Latina elected in the 150-year history of the university-
Nashville, Tenn., March 30, 2017- The Student Government Association (SGA) of Fisk University has announced that Tanya Torres will serve as 2017-2018 President. A native of Houston, TX, Torres is the first Latina to lead the SGA in the 150-year history of the university.
"There is no doubt that Tanya’s leadership will greatly impact the Student Government Association. Over the past three years, the SGA has grown to become one of the most diverse campus organizations on campus, much to the credit of Tanya’s involvement and leadership,” said Lamar Allen, 2016-2017 president. “Her political ambitions, coupled with her passion for serving students, will enable her to create and champion new ideas for the Fisk community. It will be exciting to watch as she creates her own legacy as the first Latina SGA president.”
Running her campaign on the platform of “Awake and Together; We Are Stronger”, Torres aims to strengthen the relationship between Fisk students and the Nashville community, neighboring universities and developing collaborative partnerships with administrators. In addition, she hopes to improve student morale through innovative projects and community service.
“Since arriving at Fisk, I have been committed to serving an institution whose mission has been to ‘cultivate scholars and leaders; one by one’. My achievement does not belong to just myself, but also belongs to those who continuously prayed, supported, and believed in me,” said Tanya Torres. “The opportunity to even seek such an important position has been an honor. To be elected as the SGA President and to be the first Latina to serve at one of the most respected HBCU’s in the country is a privilege I do not take lightly.”
Torres will begin her term August 2017 at the university’s annual opening convocation.
- 2017 Homecoming Schedule of Events Released
- Fisk University Hacking Team Finishes Among The Top Three In Black Enterprise Hackathon
- Freshman Yahya Mohamed Selected for UNCF® HBCU Innovation Summit in Silicon Valley
- Founding Partner of Pharos Capital Group to Speak at Fisk University for The Executive Series
- Fisk University to Host 2nd Annual Athletics Hall of Fame Luncheon
- Miss Fisk University Named 2018 Miss National Black College Alumni
- Jubilee Day Convocation to be Held October 6 at Fisk University
- Jazzy 88 WFSK to host 12th Annual Radiothon
- Fisk University Announces Partnership with Art Bridges Foundation
- Fisk University Ranks as Top 10 HBCU in 2018 U.S. News and World Report Listing