Tanya Torres named 2017-2018 Student Government Association President
-Houston, TX native is the first Latina elected in the 150-year history of the university-
Nashville, Tenn., March 30, 2017- The Student Government Association (SGA) of Fisk University has announced that Tanya Torres will serve as 2017-2018 President. A native of Houston, TX, Torres is the first Latina to lead the SGA in the 150-year history of the university.
"There is no doubt that Tanya’s leadership will greatly impact the Student Government Association. Over the past three years, the SGA has grown to become one of the most diverse campus organizations on campus, much to the credit of Tanya’s involvement and leadership,” said Lamar Allen, 2016-2017 president. “Her political ambitions, coupled with her passion for serving students, will enable her to create and champion new ideas for the Fisk community. It will be exciting to watch as she creates her own legacy as the first Latina SGA president.”
Running her campaign on the platform of “Awake and Together; We Are Stronger”, Torres aims to strengthen the relationship between Fisk students and the Nashville community, neighboring universities and developing collaborative partnerships with administrators. In addition, she hopes to improve student morale through innovative projects and community service.
“Since arriving at Fisk, I have been committed to serving an institution whose mission has been to ‘cultivate scholars and leaders; one by one’. My achievement does not belong to just myself, but also belongs to those who continuously prayed, supported, and believed in me,” said Tanya Torres. “The opportunity to even seek such an important position has been an honor. To be elected as the SGA President and to be the first Latina to serve at one of the most respected HBCU’s in the country is a privilege I do not take lightly.”
Torres will begin her term August 2017 at the university’s annual opening convocation.
- Faces of Fisk: Jao Makor
- Fisk University to Host Second Annual Upon These Shoulders Concert
- Faces of Fisk: Isaac Thompson
- Carl Van Vechten Gallery To Benefit From $6 Million Grant From The Ford And Walton Family Foundations
- All-Steinway School Initiative to Provide New Musical Opportunities for Fisk Music Department
- New UNCF Study Confirms that Fisk University Contributes to Local and Regional Economies
- Faces of Fisk: Patricia Wingfield McCarroll
- Fisk University Students to Attend Interface of Biology and Mathematics Research Conference
- Christmas at Fisk 2017
- HBCU Venture Capitalist Event for Aspiring Entrepreneurs to be Hosted by Fisk University