REVEREND AL SHARPTON TO DELIVER 2019 COMMENCEMENT ADDRESS AT FISK UNIVERSITY
Nashville, Tenn., April 12, 2019– Civil rights activist Reverend Alfred C. Sharpton Jr., will deliver the 2019 keynote address during the 145th commencement exercise for Fisk University. Graduation ceremonies will be held at Mt. Zion Baptist Church (Old Hickory Blvd), on Monday, May 6, 2019 beginning at 10:00am.
“It is an honor and privilege for the Fisk community to have Rev. Al Sharpton delivering remarks to our 2019 graduating class,” said President Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D. “He has lived an extraordinary life full of accomplishments and made a significant impact on our community. I know that his words will inspire our graduates to create positive change in their communities after graduating Fisk.”
Rev. Sharpton is one of America’s most-renowned civil rights leaders, having served as a community leader, politician, minister and advocate for over 40 years. As founder and president of the National Action Network (NAN), Sharpton fights for progressive people-based social policies by providing voter education and registration campaigns, economic support for small community businesses and confronting corporate racism. Sharpton became interested in politics at age 12 and founded the National Youth Movement (NYM) in 1971. Under his 17-year leadership, the NYM registered thousands of young people to vote, won hundreds of job opportunities and led the fight to put the first African American on the New York State Metropolitan Transit Authority Board. In 2004, he was a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. presidential election.
For more information on the 145th commencement exercises, please visit www.fisk.edu.
- Fisk University Receives Approval to Offer Homeland Security
- Fisk University Participates In Coding Academy
- Fisk University works to Provide Enhanced Career Guidance for Students
- Mr. Berry Retires from Fisk University
- 2019 Goldwater Scholarship Recipient
- Fisk University 2019 Retool Your School Winners
- Fisk University Receives Approval to Offer Bachelors of Science in Data Science Beginning Spring 2020
- Fisk University Students on Path to Global Citizenship with Free Passports
- Reverend Al Sharpton to Deliver 2019 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Pulitzer-Prize Winning Poet Tyehimba Jess Speaks at Fisk