The Honorable Helen Shores Lee ’62 to Keynote at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual Convocation
On Thursday, January 16, 2014, 10:00 a.m., the Honorable Helen Shores Lee ’62 will deliver the keynote address at Fisk University’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual Convocation.
Following the Convocation, a reception and book signing will be held at noon in the Appleton Room of historic Jubilee Hall. Judge Lee is the author of The Gentle Giant of Dynamite Hill: The Untold Story of Arthur Shores and His Family's Fight for Civil Rights.
Judge Lee became a judge in Jefferson County, Alabama in January of 2003. After her graduation from Fisk University in 1962, Judge Lee earned her J.D. degree at the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University in 1987. Before becoming a judge, she worked as a clinical psychologist for sixteen years.
Judge Lee has dedicated her life to community service. Among her many areas of service are the following:
- Chair of UAB Minority Health and Research Advisory Council (MHRC);
- Board of Trustees for Leadership Birmingham;
- Board of Directors for Campfire, Inc.;
- Board of Directors for American Red Cross, Birmingham Chapter;
- Board of Directors of United Cerebral Palsy (UCP);
- Board of Directors for Oasis;
- Member of Alabama Lawyers Hall of Fame Selection Committee; and
- Rotary International.
In addition to her service with various community agencies, Judge Lee has been honored by the following organizations:
- Southern Women Committee of Fifty for community service;
- American Federation of Government Employee, AFL-CIO;
- Cumberland School of Law for dedication and commitment to the advancement of legal scholarship;
- East Brownville Community for outstanding support of community activities;
- Lawson State Community College Meritorious Achievement Award;
- National Conference for Community and Justice of Alabama for Outstanding Community Service;
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Legacy of Leadership Award for her commitment to a stronger community;
- Girls, Inc., She Knows Where She's Going Award; and
- Governor Bob Riley Commendation for dedication to justice and community service.
Judge Lee is active in the American Bar Association, the Alabama State Bar, the Birmingham Bar Association, and the Magic City Bar Association.
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium
- Fisk University Announces 89th Annual Spring Arts Festival, April 2- 8
- Rising to the Occasion in a Challenging Political Climate: Fisk University to Host a Leadership and Politics Luncheon Featuring Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson on April 4
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®