JUBILEE DAY CONVOCATION TO BE HELD OCTOBER 6 AT FISK UNIVERSITY
- The Honorable Milele A. Coggs, J.D. ’99 to serve as convocation keynote speaker-
Nashville, Tenn. October 1, 2018- Fisk University will host its Jubilee Day convocation on Saturday, October 6 at 10 am in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. Serving as this year’s keynote speaker will be alumna Milele A. Coggs, J.D. ‘99. The event is free and is open to the public.
Celebrated annually, Jubilee Day commemorates the historic day in 1871 when the Fisk Jubilee Singers® departed from Fisk University to tour the United States and abroad to raise funds for the university.
The Milwaukee native, Alderwoman Coggs graduated from Fisk, with honors, majoring in business administration and English. Prior to earning her Juris Doctorate from the University of Wisconsin Law School she interned in the Office of a Wisconsin State Senator. She is the youngest woman ever elected to Milwaukee's Common Council and is the first African-American female to ever serve as Chair of the Finance and Personnel Committee.
Alderwoman Coggs' election to office marks the Coggs family's fifth generation of members having served in public office with three members currently in different areas of government.
In addition to the convocation, the Jubilee Day celebration will include the 3rd annual Jubilee Singers Alumni Heritage Concert featuring Valerie Simpson at 7pm in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets. For more information about the Jubilee Day celebration, please contact the Office of Alumni Affairs at 615-329-8632 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fisk University Partners with the Museum of the Bible and the Smithsonian for Slave Bible Exhibition
- Former “The Voice” Contestant To Headline Christmas At Fisk Showcase Concert
- Jubilee Day Convocation to be Held Oct. 6
- Dr. Vann Newkirk Announced as new Provost of Fisk University
- Fisk University Students Benefit from Summer Program
- Fisk University Announces $3 Million Gift Toward Career Planning Center
- A’Maiya Harris, Fisk University Student, awarded scholarship by Kevin Hart’s “Help From The Hart Charity”, a New $600,000 Scholarship Program
- Major Maps Initiative for Student Advising
- Beyoncé’s BeyGOOD Foundation Announces the 2018- 2019 Homecoming Scholars Award Recipient
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start