Jubilee Day Convocation to be held October 6 at Fisk University
-Activist and alumnus Justin Jones ‘17 and alumna Jamye Coleman Williams, Ph.D., ‘39 to serve as convocation Keynote speakers-
Nashville, Tenn. September 27, 2017- Fisk University will host its Jubilee Day convocation on Friday, October 6 at 10am in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. Serving as this year’s keynote speaker will be alumnus Justin Jones ’17 and alumna Jayme Coleman Williams, Ph.D. ’39. The event is free and is open to the public.
Celebrated annually, Jubilee Day commemorates the historic day in 1871 when the Fisk Jubilee Singers® departed from Fisk University to tour the United States and abroad to raise funds for the university.
Jones, a 2017 graduate of Fisk, has been regarded as a young activist by his peers and community members alike. A recipient of the Rising Advocate Award by Tennessee United for Human Rights and the Long Haul Award by the Tennessee Alliance for Progress, Jones is frequently involved with initiatives focused on providing citizens with access to quality healthcare, voting rights and police accountability.
Williams, a 1939 graduate of Fisk, is a renowned in academia in the field of communications. Williams was named editor of The AME Church Review, the oldest African American literary journal, and held the position for 8 years. Having taught at several HBCU’s, she served as the Chair of the Department of Communications at Tennessee State University until her retirement. A noted activist and advocate for social justice, Williams is the recipient of the Presidential Award by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). A native of Louisville, KY, Williams holds a bachelor’s degree from Wilberforce University, a master’s degree from Fisk University, and a doctorate from Ohio State University.
In addition to the convocation, the Jubilee Day celebration will include the 2nd annual Jubilee Singers Alumni Heritage Concert at 7pm in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. General admission tickets are $25.
For more information about the Jubilee Day celebration, please contact the Office of Alumni Affairs at 615-329-8632 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faces of Fisk: Jao Makor
- Fisk University to Host Second Annual Upon These Shoulders Concert
- Faces of Fisk: Isaac Thompson
- Carl Van Vechten Gallery To Benefit From $6 Million Grant From The Ford And Walton Family Foundations
- All-Steinway School Initiative to Provide New Musical Opportunities for Fisk Music Department
- New UNCF Study Confirms that Fisk University Contributes to Local and Regional Economies
- Faces of Fisk: Patricia Wingfield McCarroll
- Fisk University Students to Attend Interface of Biology and Mathematics Research Conference
- Christmas at Fisk 2017
- HBCU Venture Capitalist Event for Aspiring Entrepreneurs to be Hosted by Fisk University