Jubilee Day Convocation to be held October 6 at Fisk University
-Activist and alumnus Justin Jones ‘17 and alumna Jamye Coleman Williams, Ph.D., ‘39 to serve as convocation Keynote speakers-
Nashville, Tenn. September 27, 2017- Fisk University will host its Jubilee Day convocation on Friday, October 6 at 10am in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. Serving as this year’s keynote speaker will be alumnus Justin Jones ’17 and alumna Jayme Coleman Williams, Ph.D. ’39. The event is free and is open to the public.
Celebrated annually, Jubilee Day commemorates the historic day in 1871 when the Fisk Jubilee Singers® departed from Fisk University to tour the United States and abroad to raise funds for the university.
Jones, a 2017 graduate of Fisk, has been regarded as a young activist by his peers and community members alike. A recipient of the Rising Advocate Award by Tennessee United for Human Rights and the Long Haul Award by the Tennessee Alliance for Progress, Jones is frequently involved with initiatives focused on providing citizens with access to quality healthcare, voting rights and police accountability.
Williams, a 1939 graduate of Fisk, is a renowned in academia in the field of communications. Williams was named editor of The AME Church Review, the oldest African American literary journal, and held the position for 8 years. Having taught at several HBCU’s, she served as the Chair of the Department of Communications at Tennessee State University until her retirement. A noted activist and advocate for social justice, Williams is the recipient of the Presidential Award by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). A native of Louisville, KY, Williams holds a bachelor’s degree from Wilberforce University, a master’s degree from Fisk University, and a doctorate from Ohio State University.
In addition to the convocation, the Jubilee Day celebration will include the 2nd annual Jubilee Singers Alumni Heritage Concert at 7pm in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. General admission tickets are $25.
For more information about the Jubilee Day celebration, please contact the Office of Alumni Affairs at 615-329-8632 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event