FISK UNIVERSITY PARTNERS WITH COMMUNITY ARTS ORGANIZATIONS FOR CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT CELEBRATION CONCERT
The Fisk University School of Humanities has partnered with Nashville-based arts organizations Choral Arts Link (CAL) and Intersection’s Commercial Music Ensemble (CME) to host UPON THESE SHOULDERS, an evening of song, orchestra, spoken word, and art.
The event will be held on Thursday, January 12, 2017 at 7:00pm in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. A pre-concert reception will be held from 5:30-6:45 at the Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery, also on the campus of Fisk University.
UPON THESE SHOULDERS will highlight local unsung heroes of the civil rights movement while also paying homage to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s leadership in this era. Local artists will perform various genres of music conveying the historical context of early 20th century works during the pre-concert reception in the Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery.
“The music of the time plays a vital role in the civil rights movement, and included spirituals and hymns that have evolved and continue through varying works of art into today’s soundtrack of the movement,” said Margaret Campbelle-Holman, executive director of CAL. “This program will connect generations by linking the soundtrack of the past to today and into tomorrow through Classical, Rap and Spoken Word and will highlight common themes that each generation shares.”
Performers include Intersection CME led by Kelly Corcoran, Dave Ragland’s Diaspora, Tyler Samuel,
CAL’s MET Singers and more. Choral Arts Link will continue its partnership with Fisk University and Intersection CME with an additional program scheduled in April 2017 that will showcase the cultural experiences of late 20th and early 20th century composers and their communities.
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium
- Fisk University Announces 89th Annual Spring Arts Festival, April 2- 8
- Rising to the Occasion in a Challenging Political Climate: Fisk University to Host a Leadership and Politics Luncheon Featuring Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson on April 4
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®