Honorary Degree Nominations
The Fisk University Committee on Honorary Degrees is currently accepting nominations for honorary degree recipients to be awarded at the May 2016 Commencement. An honorary degree is one of higher education’s most sacred accolades. Fisk University awards honorary degrees, on a highly selective basis, to distinguished individuals who deserve special recognition for outstanding achievement in a field or activity consonant with the mission of the University.
Honorary degrees recognize distinguished scholarship and/or accomplishments in the humanities, the arts, the sciences,the professions, public service, and service to the institution, to society,and to mankind. Because an honorary degree is an academic award that reflects the high ideals and values of Fisk University, the recipients shall exemplify qualities that embrace Diversity, Excellence, Teamwork, Accountability, Integrity, Leadership, and Service.
The goal of inviting an honoree for commencement is to bring credit to the university, inspire the graduates, and reflect the diversity of the University and the nation. The three criteria used for selecting honorary degree recipients are listed below. Nominees should distinguish themselves in at least two of the three categories:
1) Distinguished professional, scholarly, intellectual, or creative achievement
2) Demonstrated interest in activities that contribute to the public good, including public service and/or philanthropy
3) Exceptional and distinctive achievements on behalf of Fisk University
Nominations may come from all members of the University community. Each nomination must be accompanied by a clear statement, justifying the conferral of the degree, the nominee’s curriculum vitae, and any supporting documentation referencing their accomplishments. The deadline for submitting nominations for the 2016 Commencement ceremony is Monday, September 12, 2016.
Completed nomination forms and any supporting documentation may be submitted electronically: Click link to complete form . Hard copies may be sent to:
Dr. Rodney S. Hanley
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
1000 17th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37208
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Although many distinguished candidates are nominated each year, not all nominees will be recognized; therefore, all nominations will be kept confidential at all stages of the process and the nominee should NOT be notified of the nomination.
If you have any questions on the nomination process, please call the Office of the Provost at (615)329-8681.
Learn more about the Honorary Degrees.
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium
- Fisk University Announces 89th Annual Spring Arts Festival, April 2- 8
- Rising to the Occasion in a Challenging Political Climate: Fisk University to Host a Leadership and Politics Luncheon Featuring Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson on April 4