Honorary Degree Nominations
The Fisk University Committee on Honorary Degrees is currently accepting nominations for honorary degree recipients to be awarded at the May 2016 Commencement. An honorary degree is one of higher education’s most sacred accolades. Fisk University awards honorary degrees, on a highly selective basis, to distinguished individuals who deserve special recognition for outstanding achievement in a field or activity consonant with the mission of the University.
Honorary degrees recognize distinguished scholarship and/or accomplishments in the humanities, the arts, the sciences,the professions, public service, and service to the institution, to society,and to mankind. Because an honorary degree is an academic award that reflects the high ideals and values of Fisk University, the recipients shall exemplify qualities that embrace Diversity, Excellence, Teamwork, Accountability, Integrity, Leadership, and Service.
The goal of inviting an honoree for commencement is to bring credit to the university, inspire the graduates, and reflect the diversity of the University and the nation. The three criteria used for selecting honorary degree recipients are listed below. Nominees should distinguish themselves in at least two of the three categories:
1) Distinguished professional, scholarly, intellectual, or creative achievement
2) Demonstrated interest in activities that contribute to the public good, including public service and/or philanthropy
3) Exceptional and distinctive achievements on behalf of Fisk University
Nominations may come from all members of the University community. Each nomination must be accompanied by a clear statement, justifying the conferral of the degree, the nominee’s curriculum vitae, and any supporting documentation referencing their accomplishments. The deadline for submitting nominations for the 2016 Commencement ceremony is Monday, September 12, 2016.
Completed nomination forms and any supporting documentation may be submitted electronically: Click link to complete form . Hard copies may be sent to:
Dr. Rodney S. Hanley
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
1000 17th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37208
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Although many distinguished candidates are nominated each year, not all nominees will be recognized; therefore, all nominations will be kept confidential at all stages of the process and the nominee should NOT be notified of the nomination.
If you have any questions on the nomination process, please call the Office of the Provost at (615)329-8681.
Learn more about the Honorary Degrees.
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®
- Fisk University Receives $1 Million Gift from Board of Trustees Member
- The Executive Series Set for February 28 at Fisk University
- Fisk University Sets Inauguration for Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D.
- Faces of Fisk: Katharine A. Burnett
- Fisk University Advances to National Qualifying Tournament of 29th Annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge
- Fisk University Sets 20th Annual Piersen Lecture for February 22
- Fisk University Relaunches The Talented Tenth Scholars Program
- Fisk University Students to Compete in HBCU National Speech and Debate Championship Tournament
- HBCU Campaign Fund Recognizes President Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D. As One of the Ten Most Dominant HBCU Leaders of 2018