Honorary Degree Nominations
The Fisk University Committee on Honorary Degrees is currently accepting nominations for honorary degree recipients to be awarded at the May 2016 Commencement. An honorary degree is one of higher education’s most sacred accolades. Fisk University awards honorary degrees, on a highly selective basis, to distinguished individuals who deserve special recognition for outstanding achievement in a field or activity consonant with the mission of the University.
Honorary degrees recognize distinguished scholarship and/or accomplishments in the humanities, the arts, the sciences,the professions, public service, and service to the institution, to society,and to mankind. Because an honorary degree is an academic award that reflects the high ideals and values of Fisk University, the recipients shall exemplify qualities that embrace Diversity, Excellence, Teamwork, Accountability, Integrity, Leadership, and Service.
The goal of inviting an honoree for commencement is to bring credit to the university, inspire the graduates, and reflect the diversity of the University and the nation. The three criteria used for selecting honorary degree recipients are listed below. Nominees should distinguish themselves in at least two of the three categories:
1) Distinguished professional, scholarly, intellectual, or creative achievement
2) Demonstrated interest in activities that contribute to the public good, including public service and/or philanthropy
3) Exceptional and distinctive achievements on behalf of Fisk University
Nominations may come from all members of the University community. Each nomination must be accompanied by a clear statement, justifying the conferral of the degree, the nominee’s curriculum vitae, and any supporting documentation referencing their accomplishments. The deadline for submitting nominations for the 2016 Commencement ceremony is Monday, September 12, 2016.
Completed nomination forms and any supporting documentation may be submitted electronically: Click link to complete form . Hard copies may be sent to:
Dr. Rodney S. Hanley
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs
1000 17th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37208
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Although many distinguished candidates are nominated each year, not all nominees will be recognized; therefore, all nominations will be kept confidential at all stages of the process and the nominee should NOT be notified of the nomination.
If you have any questions on the nomination process, please call the Office of the Provost at (615)329-8681.
Learn more about the Honorary Degrees.
- Fisk University Closed Due to Inclement Weather
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation Set for January 11 at Fisk University
- Faces of Fisk: Jao Makor
- Fisk University to Host Second Annual Upon These Shoulders Concert
- Faces of Fisk: Isaac Thompson
- Carl Van Vechten Gallery To Benefit From $6 Million Grant From The Ford And Walton Family Foundations
- All-Steinway School Initiative to Provide New Musical Opportunities for Fisk Music Department
- New UNCF Study Confirms that Fisk University Contributes to Local and Regional Economies
- Faces of Fisk: Patricia Wingfield McCarroll
- Fisk University Students to Attend Interface of Biology and Mathematics Research Conference