Fisk University to Unveil Historic Marker for The Fisk Jubilee Singers®
Nashville, Tenn., November 6, 2017 –The Fisk Jubilee Singers® , renowned for introducing negro spirituals to the world will be honored with a historic marker at Fisk University on Wednesday, Nov. 15 at 12pm. The marker will be located on the side of historic Jubilee Hall to commemorate the Singers and their departure from campus in 1871 to tour the United States and abroad to raise funds for Fisk University.
As one of the world’s foremost a cappella ensembles and the premier performers of the Negro spiritual, The Fisk Jubilee Singers® specialize in performing songs originally sung by slaves prior to the Civil War. Under the leadership of Dr. Paul Kwami, associate professor of music, the Singers have performed in renowned venues such as the Apollo Theatre, the historic Plymouth Congregational Church in New York, Kennedy Center, Smithsonian Institute, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum, The White House, and have also been awarded a National Medal of Arts.
“It is such an honor to have a historic indicator placed on campus commemorating the history and efforts of The Fisk Jubilee Singers® and their significant role in the history of Fisk University,” said Dr. Paul Kwami, associate professor of music.
The marker unveiling will take place on the steps of Jubilee Hall. Kevin D. Rome Sr. Ph.D., president of Fisk University will issue remarks and the 2017-18 ensemble of The Fisk Jubilee Singers® will perform.
For more information on the unveiling of the historic marker, please contact Dr. Reavis Mitchell at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (615) 329-8669.
- Fisk University Announces $3 Million Gift Toward Career Planning Center
- A’Maiya Harris, Fisk University Student, awarded scholarship by Kevin Hart’s “Help From The Hart Charity”, a New $600,000 Scholarship Program
- Major Maps Initiative for Student Advising
- Beyoncé’s BeyGOOD Foundation Announces the 2018- 2019 Homecoming Scholars Award Recipient
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google