FISK UNIVERSITY STUDENTS TO COMPETE IN HBCU NATIONAL SPEECH AND DEBATE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT
Nashville, Tenn., January 26, 2018 - Fisk University will be among 22 Historically Black Colleges and Universities competing in the 2018 HBCU National Speech and Debate Championship Tournament on January 26-27, 2018. Presented by the Charles Koch Foundation, the 2018 tournament will be hosted at Wiley College in Marshall, Texas.
Representing the Fisk University team are:
Tanya Torres, a senior, political science major from Houston, Texas
Rachael Brown, a senior, business administration major from Nassau, Bahamas
Alex Wilson, a junior, political science from Cleveland, Ohio
Jewel Johnson, a sophomore, political science from Miami, Florida
Brandy Beans, a senior, Spanish major from Jacksonville, Florida
Mia Vasquez, a senior, history and political science major from Yonkers, New York
Myles Harris, a sophomore, business administration major from Houston, Texas
Paul Woodard, a freshman, psychology major from Warrior, Alabama
Students will compete across 13 different debate formats. The tournament will conclude with an awards ceremony and a Hall of Fame banquet on Saturday, January 27. Wiley College, renowned for its speech and debate program and the focal point of the 2007 award-winning film, The Great Debaters, began spearheading efforts for an HBCU debate tournament with the goal of providing greater opportunity for participation in speech and debate by students of color at different institutions.
For more information about the HBCU National Speech and Debate Championship Tournament, please contact Natara Garvin, Dean of Student Engagement, at email@example.com or by phone at 615-329-8635.
- Jubilee Day Convocation to be Held Oct. 6
- Dr. Vann Newkirk Announced as new Provost of Fisk University
- Fisk University Students Benefit from Summer Program
- Fisk University Announces $3 Million Gift Toward Career Planning Center
- A’Maiya Harris, Fisk University Student, awarded scholarship by Kevin Hart’s “Help From The Hart Charity”, a New $600,000 Scholarship Program
- Major Maps Initiative for Student Advising
- Beyoncé’s BeyGOOD Foundation Announces the 2018- 2019 Homecoming Scholars Award Recipient
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement