Fisk University Sets 20th annual Piersen Lecture for February 22
Nashville, Tenn., February 1, 2018 – Fisk University will host its 20th annual Piersen Lecture on Thursday, February 22 at 7:00 p.m. in the Appleton Room of Jubilee Hall. William K. Head, Ed.D., former Fisk athletics director, will deliver the Piersen lecture on the “History of Sports at Fisk University”. The event is free and is open to the general public.
Named in honor of the late William D. Piersen, Ph.D., former history professor and dean of social sciences, the Piersen Lecture is one of the oldest lecture series at Fisk and offers primary historical information on the rich history of the university.
Head, a 1970 graduate of Fisk University, began his career as an assistant football coach at Fisk. He would later go on serve as a two-time head football coach and four-time athletics director at several historically black colleges. A native of Lebanon, TN, Heads also holds a master’s and doctorate degree from Tennessee State University.
This year’s Piersen Lecture will also include performances by the Fisk University Jazz Ensemble and the Fisk University Chorus.
The Piersen Lecture is presented by Fisk’s Department of History and Political Science as a part of a month-long celebration of Black History Month.
For more information on the Piersen Lecture, please contact Reavis Mitchell, Ph.D. at email@example.com or 615-329-8610.
- Jubilee Day Convocation to be Held Oct. 6
- Dr. Vann Newkirk Announced as new Provost of Fisk University
- Fisk University Students Benefit from Summer Program
- Fisk University Announces $3 Million Gift Toward Career Planning Center
- A’Maiya Harris, Fisk University Student, awarded scholarship by Kevin Hart’s “Help From The Hart Charity”, a New $600,000 Scholarship Program
- Major Maps Initiative for Student Advising
- Beyoncé’s BeyGOOD Foundation Announces the 2018- 2019 Homecoming Scholars Award Recipient
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement