Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with
New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- University Announces Plan to Convert Smoke-Free Campus into Tobacco-Free Premises-
Nashville, Tenn., April 20, 2018 – Fisk University will implement a tobacco-free policy across all university facilities, including outdoor areas and University-owned vehicles. Beginning July 1, 2018, the school campus will restrict the use of all forms of tobacco products including, but not limited to, cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chewing tobacco, and snuff on campus. The new policy will also include all forms of smokeless electronic cigarettes and other similar devices.
“I am thrilled to have the support and commitment of President Rome and the Senior Leadership team in transforming Fisk into a tobacco-free environment,” says Dr. JaCenda Davidson, vice president and chief human resources officer. “We will be joining fellow institutions throughout the Nashville area as a model of healthy living, by creating a truly healthy campus environment for our faculty, staff, and students.”
In 2015, Fisk University launched the Breathe Well Tobacco-Free campaign, a key component of the University’s Live Well @ Fisk Healthy Campus Initiative, in preparation for a future tobacco-free environment. The three-year, integrated campus-wide effort promoted best practices to fostering a culture of mental and physical health and wellness. The Office of Human Resources hosted a variety of educational activities on campus, with an emphasis on public awareness and healthy lifestyle. Events such as tobacco cessation, lunch-and-learns, educational materials and a social marketing campaign highlighted the benefits of tobacco-free living
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium
- Fisk University Announces 89th Annual Spring Arts Festival, April 2- 8
- Rising to the Occasion in a Challenging Political Climate: Fisk University to Host a Leadership and Politics Luncheon Featuring Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson on April 4
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®