Fisk University Receives $1 Million Gift from
Board of Trustees Member
Nashville, Tenn., February 13, 2018– Fisk University has announced a $1 million gift from Robert W. Norton, a retired Pfizer executive and member of the Fisk University Board of Trustees, and his wife Janice. The Norton’s gift will be used to provide scholarships for deserving students.
“We are extremely grateful to the Norton’s for their generous support and are thankful that this gift will assist us in continuing to provide financial support to deserving students,” said Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D., president of Fisk University. “We rely on private support to enable us to continue our mission of cultivating the next generation of scholars and leaders. The Norton’s have supported Fisk for many years and we sincerely thank them for the continued support.”
Since becoming a member of the Fisk University Board of Trustees, Robert W. Norton has continued to strongly support the lasting commitment to scholarship and the success of students.
“It is indeed an honor to rejoin the Fisk University Board of Trustees and remain committed to being an active participant in the long-term viability of Fisk University,” said Norton. “Fisk is a national treasure that Nashville is privileged to have and we look forward to continuing our family's financial support for this important institution of higher learning."
A 1965 graduate of Princeton University, Norton received an AB Degree in Economics. Norton also holds an honorary doctorate of humane letters from Fisk University. Following graduation, he joined the Procter and Gamble Company before enlisting in the United States Marine Corps. A military veteran, Norton served in the Vietnam War and was commissioned at the Officers Candidate School in Quantico, Virginia.
Norton joined Pfizer Inc. in their Corporate Human Resources Division in New York, in what would become a 33-year career with the company. He would later move to Nairobi, Kenya where he assumed HR responsibilities for Pfizer’s Africa-Middle East Region. After five years in Africa, Norton and his family relocated to Brussels, Belgium where he assumed HR responsibility for Pfizer, Europe. After returning to the United States, Norton would assume several roles with Pfizer’s global pharmaceutical business before retiring in 2004 as Senior Vice President of Corporate HR.
For more information on supporting Fisk University through private giving, please visit https://connect.fisk.edu/ways-to-support-fisk or contact the Office of Development at 615-329- 8749.
- 2019 Goldwater Scholarship Recipient
- Fisk University 2019 Retool Your School Winners
- Fisk University Receives Approval to Offer Bachelors of Science in Data Science Beginning Spring 2020
- Fisk University Students on Path to Global Citizenship with Free Passports
- Reverend Al Sharpton to Deliver 2019 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Pulitzer-Prize Winning Poet Tyehimba Jess Speaks at Fisk
- Fisk University and Cravath Announce Launch of Undergraduate Scholars Program
- Fisk University’s Dr. Reavis L. Mitchell Jr. to be included in NPT’s Soldier & Citizen preview and discussion panel
- The Fisk Jubilee Singers® to Co-Headline Ryman Auditorium for annual Spring Sing concert with 4x-GRAMMY® winner India.Arie
- Fisk University Students Selected As Finalists For The Luard Morse Scholarship