Fisk University Qualifies for Honda All-Star Challenge National Championship
Nashville, Tenn., February 27, 2017- Fisk University has qualified to compete at the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge (HCASC) National Championship Tournament, a prestigious competition that showcases the academic prowess of the brightest students from America’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU). 48 student teams have qualified for this year’s National Championship Tournament, which will run from Saturday,April 8th through Tuesday, April 11th in Torrance, CA.
76 HBCUs vied for a spot at the Nationals. After seven qualifying tournaments held in early February. 48 emerged from the group, earning the opportunity to compete for the title of “National Champion” and a $75,000 institutional grant from Honda.
“I am very proud of our students for their academic accomplishments and know that they will represent Fisk University well in the Honda tournament,” said Frank Sims, interim president of Fisk University. “This latest achievement by our students reaffirms not only our commitment to educating scholars and leaders, but the personal commitment of our students to strive for academic excellence.”
In 2014, Fisk University won the National Championship and now, under the leadership of Dr. Stafford Cargill, will return to the championship to complete for the 2017 title. Members of the 2017 team are Taylor Prescott, Jasmin Johnson, Nayirah Muhammad, and Albert Stancil.
“Earning a seat at the National Championship Tournament is no easy feat, and we congratulate each and every student for displaying the drive and determination necessary to do so,” said Steve Morikawa, Vice President, Corporate Relations and Social Responsibility, American Honda. “Over its 28-year history, Honda Campus All-Star Challenge has become a multi-generational community event, and we look forward to hosting the students and providing their families with an opportunity to watch them compete in California.”
The final round of the 2017 National Championship Tournament will be live-streamed on Monday, April 10th starting at 12:00 ET on HCASC.com. For more information on the 2017 HCASC, including a full list of the 48 qualifying teams, visit www.hcasc.com.
About Fisk University
Founded in 1866, Fisk University is a private, liberal arts university located in Nashville, Tennessee. Consistently recognized for quality and value, Fisk was ranked in the Top 10 by the 2017 U.S. News & World Report rankings of Historically Black Colleges and Universities. Fisk was also ranked #1 by The Washington Monthly for most awarded research grants in the 2016 rankings of National Liberal Arts institutions. To learn more about Fisk University, please visit www.fisk.edu.
About Honda Campus All-Star Challenge
Celebrating HBCU academic achievement, Honda Campus All-Star Challenge is one of Honda’s largest and longest running philanthropic initiatives in the United States. Since 1989, the program has impacted the lives of over 100,000 HBCU students across 22 states. Through Honda Campus All-Star Challenge and Honda Battle of the Bands, an annual marching band showcase, Honda has awarded more than $10 million to support music and educational programs at America's HBCUs.
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium
- Fisk University Announces 89th Annual Spring Arts Festival, April 2- 8
- Rising to the Occasion in a Challenging Political Climate: Fisk University to Host a Leadership and Politics Luncheon Featuring Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson on April 4
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®