Fisk University Students Benefit from the Bluford Healthcare Leadership Institute
Kansas City, MO, September 20, 2018- Fisk University scholars experienced unique opportunities this past summer through the university’s partnership with the Bluford Healthcare Leadership Institute (BHLI), a program developed by John W. Bluford, Fisk Class of 1971, to cultivate the next generation of healthcare leaders. Bluford is a national innovative leader in the healthcare field whose career has spanned four decades in executive leadership.
As a member of the 2018 BHLI Cohort, Myles Harris, business finance and economics major, Class of 2020, spent two weeks in Kansas City, MO for a comprehensive overview to healthcare leadership from leading executives in the field.
“When I interviewed with Mr. Bluford last fall on the Fisk campus, I had no background in the healthcare space, but as a business major I understood that there would be value in learning the policies behind our nation’s healthcare system; however, I had no idea just how much of an impact the BHLI would have on my future and my life,” Harris said. “The most important impact has been the level of business maturity I gained during the Institute. Through all the early days and late nights, I was truly changed from the person I was before I flew to Kansas City. While my focus and mindset are still consistent, the career opportunities I previously had planned now have been expanded to include the healthcare industry and my mind is wide open to a multitude of possibilities.”
While Harris participated in the 2018 Institute, the current Fisk Student Government Association president, Emani Mhoon interned this past summer at the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City where she met President and Chief Executive Esther George during her activities as a scholar of the 2017 BHLI. Based upon her exemplary internship performance, Mhoon was offered a full-time position at the Federal Reserve Bank upon her graduation next spring. She looks forward to using both her BHLI experiences and her knowledge gained at Fisk to contribute to the work of the Federal Reserve Bank.
Fourteen Fisk scholars have participated in the BHLI since its initial 2013 Cohort. In addition to the Federal Reserve Bank, additional internship sites for Fiskites have been coordinated by the BHLI at Allscripts Solutions, Inc. in Raleigh, NC; Atlantic Health Systems in Middleton, New Jersey; Cerner Corporation in Kansas City, MO; CHRISTUS Health in Irving, TX; Duke University Hospital in Durham, NC; INTEGRIS Health in Oklahoma City, OK; and Swope Health Services in Kansas City, MO.
The Bluford Healthcare Leadership Institute looks forward to its continued partnership with Fisk University as Bluford returns to the campus in October to interview students for the 2019 Institute. For more information, please view the Institute’s website at www.blufordinstitute.org
Applications for the 2019 Institute are due Tuesday, September 25 at 11:59 pm and may be accessed on the website.
Myles Harris, Fisk Scholar and Mr. John Bluford, Fisk graduate and President of the Bluford Healthcare Institute
Emani Mhoon, Fisk Scholar and Esther George, President and Chief Executive of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City
- Reverend Al Sharpton to Deliver 2019 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Pulitzer-Prize Winning Poet Tyehimba Jess Speaks at Fisk
- Fisk University and Cravath Announce Launch of Undergraduate Scholars Program
- Fisk University’s Dr. Reavis L. Mitchell Jr. to be included in NPT’s Soldier & Citizen preview and discussion panel
- The Fisk Jubilee Singers® to Co-Headline Ryman Auditorium for annual Spring Sing concert with 4x-GRAMMY® winner India.Arie
- Fisk University Students Selected As Finalists For The Luard Morse Scholarship
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation Set For January 17 At Fisk University
- Fisk University Partners with the Museum of the Bible and the Smithsonian for Slave Bible Exhibition
- Former “The Voice” Contestant To Headline Christmas At Fisk Showcase Concert
- Jubilee Day Convocation to be Held Oct. 6