Fisk University has a rich legacy of music programs- The Jubilee Singers are world-renowned and the Jazz ensemble is quickly becoming a force not only in Nashville but across the State. Perhaps due to these strengths, the University has launched plans to create a Marching Band. Fisk University once had a marching band which last performed in the late 1970s. Said University Provost Vann Newkirk, “We are excited to expand our music programs and launch a new marching band at Fisk University. Over the last few years, we have had numerous inquiries from students. The launch of this ensemble gives the University a chance to meet the expectations of our students.” In line with this view, and with assistance from members of the alumni association, the University purchased the first horns for the new ensemble. It is the University's plan to field a 50-instrument marching ensemble in the fall of 2020.
Once operational the band will compete in marching band competitions and major events such as the Magic City Classic among others.
If you would like more information about the band or would like to contribute to this endeavor, please contact the office of Academic Affairs.
- FISK AND MEHARRY ARRIVE AT AGREEMENT TO FAST-TRACK MEDICAL AND DENTAL SCHOOL ADMISSIONS FOR SELECT UNDERGRAD STUDENTS.
- Fisk University Selected as Host Institution for the 2020-2022 CLIR Postdoctoral Fellowship in Data Curation for African American Studies
- Fisk University Band Resurgence
- Fisk University’s New Social Justice Institute
- Two Fisk Students Named as Rhodes Scholarship Finalists
- The Fisk Honors Debate Team Scores First Place in New Orleans Competition
- National Book Foundation: Writing Survival Comes to Fisk University
- Fisk Welcomes New Faculty Members and Academic Administrators on Campus
- Kids Summer Fishing Program at Fisk University
- Fisk University Receives Approval to Offer Homeland Security