Fisk University Announces Partnership with Art Bridges Foundation
Nashville, Tenn., September 15, 2017 - Fisk University has announced a partnership with Art Bridges, a new non-profit foundation focused on sharing outstanding works of American art. Founded by Alice Walton, arts patron and renowned philanthropist, Art Bridges will work with museums, colleges, and universities through the country to assist with the creation and funding of exhibits, while bringing together art from museums, private collections, and foundations. Fisk University and Yale University hold the distinction of being the only two higher education institutions partnering with the organization.
“We are excited about the founding of Art Bridges and the opportunities that it will present for our Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery,” said Rodney Hanley, Ph.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs. “We hope this new partnership will encourage the community to visit our university gallery and engage attendees in meaningful discussions surrounding the rotating exhibits.”
As part of its mission, Art Bridges will focus on the promotion of American art in galleries, both large and small. The organization is committed to “engaging communities through providing access and learning opportunities, as well as allowing for experimentation in exhibition development.”
Per the partnership, works loaned from Art Bridges will be integrated with work from other respective organizations; thus, producing world class exhibits that will allow galleries to be teaching tools to train students to in the arts. "We are incredibly proud of our partnership with Art Bridges and know this partnership will help further our mission of educating students in the arts while creating further opportunities for community engagement,” said Jamaal Sheats, director and curator of Fisk University Galleries. “We are anticipating our exhibit to be open to the general public as early as summer 2018.”
For more information about Art Bridges, please visit http://artbridgesfoundation.org/.
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium