Fisk University Announces Partnership with Art Bridges Foundation
Nashville, Tenn., September 15, 2017 - Fisk University has announced a partnership with Art Bridges, a new non-profit foundation focused on sharing outstanding works of American art. Founded by Alice Walton, arts patron and renowned philanthropist, Art Bridges will work with museums, colleges, and universities through the country to assist with the creation and funding of exhibits, while bringing together art from museums, private collections, and foundations. Fisk University and Yale University hold the distinction of being the only two higher education institutions partnering with the organization.
“We are excited about the founding of Art Bridges and the opportunities that it will present for our Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery,” said Rodney Hanley, Ph.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs. “We hope this new partnership will encourage the community to visit our university gallery and engage attendees in meaningful discussions surrounding the rotating exhibits.”
As part of its mission, Art Bridges will focus on the promotion of American art in galleries, both large and small. The organization is committed to “engaging communities through providing access and learning opportunities, as well as allowing for experimentation in exhibition development.”
Per the partnership, works loaned from Art Bridges will be integrated with work from other respective organizations; thus, producing world class exhibits that will allow galleries to be teaching tools to train students to in the arts. "We are incredibly proud of our partnership with Art Bridges and know this partnership will help further our mission of educating students in the arts while creating further opportunities for community engagement,” said Jamaal Sheats, director and curator of Fisk University Galleries. “We are anticipating our exhibit to be open to the general public as early as summer 2018.”
For more information about Art Bridges, please visit http://artbridgesfoundation.org/.
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®
- Fisk University Receives $1 Million Gift from Board of Trustees Member
- The Executive Series Set for February 28 at Fisk University
- Fisk University Sets Inauguration for Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D.
- Faces of Fisk: Katharine A. Burnett
- Fisk University Advances to National Qualifying Tournament of 29th Annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge
- Fisk University Sets 20th Annual Piersen Lecture for February 22
- Fisk University Relaunches The Talented Tenth Scholars Program
- Fisk University Students to Compete in HBCU National Speech and Debate Championship Tournament
- HBCU Campaign Fund Recognizes President Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D. As One of the Ten Most Dominant HBCU Leaders of 2018