Fisk University Announces Partnership with Art Bridges Foundation
Nashville, Tenn., September 15, 2017 - Fisk University has announced a partnership with Art Bridges, a new non-profit foundation focused on sharing outstanding works of American art. Founded by Alice Walton, arts patron and renowned philanthropist, Art Bridges will work with museums, colleges, and universities through the country to assist with the creation and funding of exhibits, while bringing together art from museums, private collections, and foundations. Fisk University and Yale University hold the distinction of being the only two higher education institutions partnering with the organization.
“We are excited about the founding of Art Bridges and the opportunities that it will present for our Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery,” said Rodney Hanley, Ph.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs. “We hope this new partnership will encourage the community to visit our university gallery and engage attendees in meaningful discussions surrounding the rotating exhibits.”
As part of its mission, Art Bridges will focus on the promotion of American art in galleries, both large and small. The organization is committed to “engaging communities through providing access and learning opportunities, as well as allowing for experimentation in exhibition development.”
Per the partnership, works loaned from Art Bridges will be integrated with work from other respective organizations; thus, producing world class exhibits that will allow galleries to be teaching tools to train students to in the arts. "We are incredibly proud of our partnership with Art Bridges and know this partnership will help further our mission of educating students in the arts while creating further opportunities for community engagement,” said Jamaal Sheats, director and curator of Fisk University Galleries. “We are anticipating our exhibit to be open to the general public as early as summer 2018.”
For more information about Art Bridges, please visit http://artbridgesfoundation.org/.
- Faces of Fisk: Jao Makor
- Fisk University to Host Second Annual Upon These Shoulders Concert
- Faces of Fisk: Isaac Thompson
- Carl Van Vechten Gallery To Benefit From $6 Million Grant From The Ford And Walton Family Foundations
- All-Steinway School Initiative to Provide New Musical Opportunities for Fisk Music Department
- New UNCF Study Confirms that Fisk University Contributes to Local and Regional Economies
- Faces of Fisk: Patricia Wingfield McCarroll
- Fisk University Students to Attend Interface of Biology and Mathematics Research Conference
- Christmas at Fisk 2017
- HBCU Venture Capitalist Event for Aspiring Entrepreneurs to be Hosted by Fisk University