DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR. CONVOCATION SET FOR JANUARY 17 AT FISK UNIVERSITY
Nashville, Tenn., January 14, 2019 – Fisk University will host the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. convocation on Thursday, January 17 at 10:00 a.m. in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. The annual convocation commemorates the legacy of the late Civil Rights activist. The convocation is free and is open to the public.
Vann R. Newkirk II, staff writer at The Atlantic covers politics and policy, focusing on civil rights, environmental justice, and health policy. He is a recent recipient of the American Society of Magazine Editors's ASME Next award, and a recipient of The Root's Root 100 recognition in 2017. Prior to working at The Atlantic, Newkirk was at Daily Kos, where he focused on justice and health issues, focusing on the intersection of policy, race, class, and culture. He also has contributed articles, essays, and photography to sites such as GQ, Gawker, Grantland, and Ebony. Newkirk is also the founder of Seven Scribes and a contributing editor.
For more information about the annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. convocation, please contact Alice Thurmond, executive assistant to the provost, at email@example.com or by phone at 615-329-8681.
- 2019 Goldwater Scholarship Recipient
- Fisk University 2019 Retool Your School Winners
- Fisk University Receives Approval to Offer Bachelors of Science in Data Science Beginning Spring 2020
- Fisk University Students on Path to Global Citizenship with Free Passports
- Reverend Al Sharpton to Deliver 2019 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Pulitzer-Prize Winning Poet Tyehimba Jess Speaks at Fisk
- Fisk University and Cravath Announce Launch of Undergraduate Scholars Program
- Fisk University’s Dr. Reavis L. Mitchell Jr. to be included in NPT’s Soldier & Citizen preview and discussion panel
- The Fisk Jubilee Singers® to Co-Headline Ryman Auditorium for annual Spring Sing concert with 4x-GRAMMY® winner India.Arie
- Fisk University Students Selected As Finalists For The Luard Morse Scholarship