Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Convocation Set for January 11 at Fisk University
Nashville, Tenn., January 5, 2018 – Fisk University will host the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. convocation on Thursday, January 11 at 10:00a.m. in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. The annual convocation commemorates the legacy of the late Civil Rights activist. The convocation is free and is open to the public.
Candice M. Benbow, a noted writer and theologian, will deliver the convocation address. Benbow is the founder of The Red Lip Theology, a movement to encourage young Black women to embrace their whole selves as good creations. Through The Red Lip Theology, Benbow merges theological ideals with beauty industry participation to celebrate Black women’s creativity and spirituality. A native of Winston-Salem, NC, Benbow holds a bachelor’s degree from Tennessee State University, a master’s degree from North Carolina Central University, and a master’s degree from Duke Divinity School. Currently, she is a doctoral student in Religion and Society at Princeton Theological Seminary and a Lecturer in Women's and Gender Studies at Rutgers University.
For more information about the annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. convocation, please contact Alice Thurmond, executive assistant to the provost, at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 615- 329-8681.
- Fisk University Announces $3 Million Gift Toward Career Planning Center
- A’Maiya Harris, Fisk University Student, awarded scholarship by Kevin Hart’s “Help From The Hart Charity”, a New $600,000 Scholarship Program
- Major Maps Initiative for Student Advising
- Beyoncé’s BeyGOOD Foundation Announces the 2018- 2019 Homecoming Scholars Award Recipient
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google