Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs
Nashville, Tenn., April 26, 2018- Fisk University announced today that Vice Provost for Academic Initiatives and Professor of Physics, Dr. Arnold Burger, who has served as Vice Provost since 2008, will lead the search committee for the next Provost/Vice President of Academic Affairs (Provost/VPAA). Dr. Rodney Hanley, current Provost/VPAA, officially submitted his resignation in March to become President of Lake Superior State University starting June 1.
Vice Provost Burger is the Samuel P. Massie Chair of Excellence and Professor of Physics and the founding co-director of the Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s-to-Ph.D. Bridge program. He is internationally recognized for his leadership and contributions in the areas of crystal growth and radiation detectors for national security, space, and medical applications. Dr. Burger has co-authored more than 500 publications in refereed journals and proceedings of national and international conferences, co-invented nine United States Patents, has won four R&D 100 Awards, and is a SPIE (international society for optics and photonics) Fellow.
President Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D. provided, “we thank Provost Rodney Hanley for his contributions and wish him the best in his future endeavors. We are very confident we will find a candidate who will build upon the positive progress that has already been made.”
“The search for a new provost is a key endeavor in preserving and enhancing our important functions in education and scholarship at Fisk University,” Dr. Burger said. “Fisk’s long history of national reputation for academic excellence is validated year after year and will allow us to attract very strong candidates.”
- Fisk University Announces $3 Million Gift Toward Career Planning Center
- A’Maiya Harris, Fisk University Student, awarded scholarship by Kevin Hart’s “Help From The Hart Charity”, a New $600,000 Scholarship Program
- Major Maps Initiative for Student Advising
- Beyoncé’s BeyGOOD Foundation Announces the 2018- 2019 Homecoming Scholars Award Recipient
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google