Dr. Arnold Burger recognized by American Vacuum Society
Nashville, Tenn., July 18, 2017- Arnold Burger, Ph.D., vice president for academic initiatives and professor of physics, has been awarded the Excellence in Leadership Award from the American Vacuum Society (AVS) for his outstanding contributions in research and mentoring. Each year, the AVS recognizes individuals for excellence in science and/or engineering that mentor and enhance the careers of future generations in the areas of science, engineering, and technology.
“We congratulate Dr. Burger on this well-deserved recognition,” said Rodney Hanley, Ph.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs. “Dr. Burger, along with his colleagues and students, have worked tirelessly to incorporate the excitement of discovery and cutting edge research in the traditional education we provide at Fisk University. He continues to further our mission and his commitment to preparing many of our students for graduate and advanced degrees.”
Burger is a Fellow of the SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, and a four-time co-recipient of the prestigious R&D 100 Award which recognizes the most innovative technologies of the year and honors research and development pioneers for their revolutionary ideas in science and technology. Having been awarded eleven U.S. patents and a publisher of more than 350 research papers, Burger currently holds positions on seven advisory boards and is senior editor of IEEE The Transactions on Nuclear Science. Additionally, Burger served as a leading organizer of the development of the nationally recognized Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s-to-Ph.D. Bridge Program.
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®
- Fisk University Receives $1 Million Gift from Board of Trustees Member
- The Executive Series Set for February 28 at Fisk University
- Fisk University Sets Inauguration for Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D.
- Faces of Fisk: Katharine A. Burnett
- Fisk University Advances to National Qualifying Tournament of 29th Annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge
- Fisk University Sets 20th Annual Piersen Lecture for February 22
- Fisk University Relaunches The Talented Tenth Scholars Program
- Fisk University Students to Compete in HBCU National Speech and Debate Championship Tournament
- HBCU Campaign Fund Recognizes President Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D. As One of the Ten Most Dominant HBCU Leaders of 2018