Dr. Arnold Burger recognized by American Vacuum Society
Nashville, Tenn., July 18, 2017- Arnold Burger, Ph.D., vice president for academic initiatives and professor of physics, has been awarded the Excellence in Leadership Award from the American Vacuum Society (AVS) for his outstanding contributions in research and mentoring. Each year, the AVS recognizes individuals for excellence in science and/or engineering that mentor and enhance the careers of future generations in the areas of science, engineering, and technology.
“We congratulate Dr. Burger on this well-deserved recognition,” said Rodney Hanley, Ph.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs. “Dr. Burger, along with his colleagues and students, have worked tirelessly to incorporate the excitement of discovery and cutting edge research in the traditional education we provide at Fisk University. He continues to further our mission and his commitment to preparing many of our students for graduate and advanced degrees.”
Burger is a Fellow of the SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, and a four-time co-recipient of the prestigious R&D 100 Award which recognizes the most innovative technologies of the year and honors research and development pioneers for their revolutionary ideas in science and technology. Having been awarded eleven U.S. patents and a publisher of more than 350 research papers, Burger currently holds positions on seven advisory boards and is senior editor of IEEE The Transactions on Nuclear Science. Additionally, Burger served as a leading organizer of the development of the nationally recognized Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s-to-Ph.D. Bridge Program.
- Faces of Fisk: Jao Makor
- Fisk University to Host Second Annual Upon These Shoulders Concert
- Faces of Fisk: Isaac Thompson
- Carl Van Vechten Gallery To Benefit From $6 Million Grant From The Ford And Walton Family Foundations
- All-Steinway School Initiative to Provide New Musical Opportunities for Fisk Music Department
- New UNCF Study Confirms that Fisk University Contributes to Local and Regional Economies
- Faces of Fisk: Patricia Wingfield McCarroll
- Fisk University Students to Attend Interface of Biology and Mathematics Research Conference
- Christmas at Fisk 2017
- HBCU Venture Capitalist Event for Aspiring Entrepreneurs to be Hosted by Fisk University