Dr. Arnold Burger recognized by American Vacuum Society
Nashville, Tenn., July 18, 2017- Arnold Burger, Ph.D., vice president for academic initiatives and professor of physics, has been awarded the Excellence in Leadership Award from the American Vacuum Society (AVS) for his outstanding contributions in research and mentoring. Each year, the AVS recognizes individuals for excellence in science and/or engineering that mentor and enhance the careers of future generations in the areas of science, engineering, and technology.
“We congratulate Dr. Burger on this well-deserved recognition,” said Rodney Hanley, Ph.D., provost and vice president for academic affairs. “Dr. Burger, along with his colleagues and students, have worked tirelessly to incorporate the excitement of discovery and cutting edge research in the traditional education we provide at Fisk University. He continues to further our mission and his commitment to preparing many of our students for graduate and advanced degrees.”
Burger is a Fellow of the SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics, and a four-time co-recipient of the prestigious R&D 100 Award which recognizes the most innovative technologies of the year and honors research and development pioneers for their revolutionary ideas in science and technology. Having been awarded eleven U.S. patents and a publisher of more than 350 research papers, Burger currently holds positions on seven advisory boards and is senior editor of IEEE The Transactions on Nuclear Science. Additionally, Burger served as a leading organizer of the development of the nationally recognized Fisk-Vanderbilt Master’s-to-Ph.D. Bridge Program.
- Fisk President’s Tenure Off to a Strong Start
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event