CNN Political Analyst and Attorney Bakari Sellers to Speak at Fisk University
Nashville, Tenn., February 7, 2017- CNN political analyst and attorney Bakari Sellers will speak at Fisk University for the 2nd annual Black History Month Lecture Series on Thursday, Feb. 23 at 7:00pm in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. Sponsored by the Student Government Association (SGA), the lecture is free and open to the public.
Sellers will discuss his start in politics and the importance of social and political advocacy. He will also discuss his thoughts on the 2016 presidential election and provides tactics in which college students and community members can effectively voice their opinions in the current political climate.
"The SGA is excited to welcome Bakari Sellers to our campus and looks forward to his lecture on topics that pertain to our current social and political climate,” said Lamar Allen, SGA president . “The history of our university is deeply rooted in activism and social change and our hope is that Sellers’ lecture is one of many catalysts that inspires our students to create further change.”
Sellers’ career in politics began when he was elected as a member of the South Carolina General Assembly. He represented South Carolina’s 90th district in the lower house of the state legislature from 2006 to 2014. In 2010, Sellers was highlighted by Time Magazine as one of the “40 Leaders Under 40” and considered one of their rising stars of American politics. Having served as a member of the South Carolina Legislative Black Caucus since 2006, Sellers is a former member of the South Carolina House of Representatives and also a 2014 candidate for Lt. Governor of South Carolina.
Sellers holds a bachelor’s degree from Morehouse College and a juris doctorate from the University of South Carolina School of Law. He is presently an attorney with Strom Law Firm, L.L.C in Columbia, South Carolina and a political commentator on CNN.
About Fisk University
Founded in 1866, Fisk University is Nashville’s first institution of higher education and currently ranks in the top 20% of all liberal arts institutions in the nation according to The Washington Monthly. According to the American Physical Society, Fisk is the #1 producer of underrepresented minority Master's in Physics degrees. Fisk is ranked in the top 15 institutions for awarding the Master's in Physics degree for all students, and tied for fourth place for Master's degrees awarded to women. Fisk is the 4th highest ranked institution in Tennessee and the highest ranked Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in Forbes magazine’s 2015 edition of “America’s Top Colleges.” Fisk has ranked in Princeton Review’s “Best Southeastern Colleges” publication for 22 consecutive years. U.S. News & World Report ranks Fisk in the elite Tier One liberal arts institutions. Fisk has earned 4 R&D 100 Awards, the only HBCU to do so. For more information about Fisk University, please visit www.fisk.edu.
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium
- Fisk University Announces 89th Annual Spring Arts Festival, April 2- 8
- Rising to the Occasion in a Challenging Political Climate: Fisk University to Host a Leadership and Politics Luncheon Featuring Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson on April 4
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®