CNN Political Analyst and Attorney Bakari Sellers to Speak at Fisk University
Nashville, Tenn., February 7, 2017- CNN political analyst and attorney Bakari Sellers will speak at Fisk University for the 2nd annual Black History Month Lecture Series on Thursday, Feb. 23 at 7:00pm in the Fisk Memorial Chapel. Sponsored by the Student Government Association (SGA), the lecture is free and open to the public.
Sellers will discuss his start in politics and the importance of social and political advocacy. He will also discuss his thoughts on the 2016 presidential election and provides tactics in which college students and community members can effectively voice their opinions in the current political climate.
"The SGA is excited to welcome Bakari Sellers to our campus and looks forward to his lecture on topics that pertain to our current social and political climate,” said Lamar Allen, SGA president . “The history of our university is deeply rooted in activism and social change and our hope is that Sellers’ lecture is one of many catalysts that inspires our students to create further change.”
Sellers’ career in politics began when he was elected as a member of the South Carolina General Assembly. He represented South Carolina’s 90th district in the lower house of the state legislature from 2006 to 2014. In 2010, Sellers was highlighted by Time Magazine as one of the “40 Leaders Under 40” and considered one of their rising stars of American politics. Having served as a member of the South Carolina Legislative Black Caucus since 2006, Sellers is a former member of the South Carolina House of Representatives and also a 2014 candidate for Lt. Governor of South Carolina.
Sellers holds a bachelor’s degree from Morehouse College and a juris doctorate from the University of South Carolina School of Law. He is presently an attorney with Strom Law Firm, L.L.C in Columbia, South Carolina and a political commentator on CNN.
About Fisk University
Founded in 1866, Fisk University is Nashville’s first institution of higher education and currently ranks in the top 20% of all liberal arts institutions in the nation according to The Washington Monthly. According to the American Physical Society, Fisk is the #1 producer of underrepresented minority Master's in Physics degrees. Fisk is ranked in the top 15 institutions for awarding the Master's in Physics degree for all students, and tied for fourth place for Master's degrees awarded to women. Fisk is the 4th highest ranked institution in Tennessee and the highest ranked Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in Forbes magazine’s 2015 edition of “America’s Top Colleges.” Fisk has ranked in Princeton Review’s “Best Southeastern Colleges” publication for 22 consecutive years. U.S. News & World Report ranks Fisk in the elite Tier One liberal arts institutions. Fisk has earned 4 R&D 100 Awards, the only HBCU to do so. For more information about Fisk University, please visit www.fisk.edu.
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®
- Fisk University Receives $1 Million Gift from Board of Trustees Member
- The Executive Series Set for February 28 at Fisk University
- Fisk University Sets Inauguration for Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D.
- Faces of Fisk: Katharine A. Burnett
- Fisk University Advances to National Qualifying Tournament of 29th Annual Honda Campus All-Star Challenge
- Fisk University Sets 20th Annual Piersen Lecture for February 22
- Fisk University Relaunches The Talented Tenth Scholars Program
- Fisk University Students to Compete in HBCU National Speech and Debate Championship Tournament
- HBCU Campaign Fund Recognizes President Kevin D. Rome, Sr., Ph.D. As One of the Ten Most Dominant HBCU Leaders of 2018