The Reverend Dr. Ambassador Suzan Johnson Cook
A successful strategist, international influencer, Diplomat and anointed faith leader, the Honorable Suzan Johnson Cook was the first female and African-American to hold the position of U. S. Ambassador for International Religious Freedom. Nominated by Secretary Hillary Clinton, and appointed by President Barack Obama, she was the principal advisor to the President of the United States and Secretary of State, African American for religious freedom, globally, having all l99 countries in her portfolio, and integrating religious freedom into the foreign policy and national security discussions. She represented the United States in 25 countries and more than l00 diplomatic engagements, bringing faith leaders and women to the Religious Freedom table. Additionally, she has been the faith advisor to two U.S. Presidents, three cabinet secretaries, as well as political and celebrity leaders. She served as President Bill Clinton’s only faith advisor on the historic “President’s Initiative on Race”. In 2016, she was the only woman to run for NY’s 13th Congressional district.
Ambassador Johnson Cook held the position of Chaplain to the New York City Police Department for twenty-one years, the first woman to serve in that role. She was on the front lines of 9/11 as well as the front lines of bridging relations between the NYPD and New York’s diverse communities. She was also the first and only female President of the history Hampton U Ministers Conference, in its l02 year history, the large African-American clergy in the world. She served as pastor for three NYC congregations, including the famous standing room only “Lunch hour of Power”, mid-week services and seminars for the business community.
Ambassador Johnson Cook’s passion is to enhance the role that women play as leaders, both domestically and internationally. Her Pro-Voice /Pro Voz Movement is in direct response to seeing first-hand the lack of access, and the lack of women at corporate, political and diplomatic tables worldwide. Sheryl Sandberg says “Lean in”. Ambassador Sujay says, “we’ve got to “get in”. Domestically, her movement helps Black, Latina and Asian women become both a political and economic force, through connections, celebrations and conversations, and mentoring them into key leadership positions.
Owner of Charisma Speakers, a full cross-cultural communications firm and Professional speakers bureau, she provides keynote speakers, training and global experts around the world, for corporations, colleges/universities, conventions, and conferences. She has given more than 3,000 speeches.
A civil, gender and human rights activist, she officiated the Homegoing services for her mentor and Godmother, Coretta Scott King. She has addressed the United Nations, the UN General Assembly, and UN Geneva.
A frequent contributor to CNN, MSNBC and major media, she also writes a column for Huffington Post and has authored 13 books.
- Dr. Danisha Williams Named Director of Admission; Dr. Larry Glover Named Athletics Director at Fisk University
- SACSCOC Determines Fisk University Retains Full Accreditation with Period of 12-Month Probation to Show Improvement
- Response to NPR MDHA Affordable Housing Story
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium