Fisk University Chapel
April 10th â”€ 1:00 pm
Research with Societal Impacts: Voting Rights through Technology
Dr. Juan E. Gilbert is the 2014 Fisk University Honors Convocation Keynote Speaker. Dr. Gilbert serves as the Presidential Endowed Professor and Chair of the Human-Centered Computing Division in the School of Computing at Clemson University.
In this keynote, Dr. Gilbert will discuss the career opportunities for Fisk graduates and their national peers, and how computational thinking and research applied to societal challenges can help transform our world. His particular example will be how research in voting technologies is changing the way people vote in the U.S.A.
Subsequent to the debacle of the 2000 U.S. Presidential election, it became abundantly clear that America’s archaic voting system was in dire need of a major overhaul. In 2002, the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) was created to provide all citizens equal access to participate in the electoral process, regardless of ability. Dr. Gilbert testified before the Congress on the Bipartisan Electronic Voting Reform Act of 2008 for his innovative work in electronic voting.
Dr. Gilbert’s research spans spoken language systems, advanced learning technologies, Culturally Relevant Computing, and database mining. The impact of his research is manifest in his significant publication, speaking and funding successes. Dr. Gilbert has been named one of the 50 most important African-Americans in Technology, a national role model by Minority Access Inc., Master of Innovation by Black Enterprise Magazine, a Modern-Day Technology Leader by the Black Engineer of the Year Award Conference, the Pioneer of the Year by the National Society of Black Engineers and recipient of the Black Data Processing Association (BDPA) Epsilon Award for Outstanding Technical Contribution. Dr. Gilbert is a National Associate of the National Research Council of the National Academies. In 2002, Dr. Gilbert was named one of the nation's top African-American Scholars by Diverse Issues in Higher Education. In 2013, the Black Graduate and Professional Student Association at Auburn University named their Distinguished Lecture Series in honor of Dr. Gilbert. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_E._Gilbert
Celebration of Student Honors and Awards will follow the talk.
- 14th Librarian of Congress Carla Hayden to Deliver 2018 Commencement Address at Fisk University
- Dr. Sajid Hussain Selected to Attend Faculty-in-Residence Program at Google
- Dr. Arnold Burger to Head Fisk University's Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs Search Committee
- Pre-College Summer Program Application Deadline Extended!
- Fisk University Recognizes Earth Day with New Tobacco-Free Campus Announcement
- Gender Studies Partnering with SGA to Host Sexual Assault Awareness Event
- 20th Annual Fisk Research Symposium
- Fisk University Announces 89th Annual Spring Arts Festival, April 2- 8
- Rising to the Occasion in a Challenging Political Climate: Fisk University to Host a Leadership and Politics Luncheon Featuring Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson on April 4
- India.Arie to Headline Ryman Auditorium with The Fisk Jubilee Singers®