The last day to add campers for THRUST / GUSTO / PCSI was Friday, June 15th.
Please feel free to join the waitlist for next year.
To Harness, Retain, Understand, Sustain and Teach
This program recruits boys in 5th through 12th grades from underrepresented groups into an 8-week summer-science camp. These projects use the community organizations to strongly encourage the engagement and participation of parents. This is the sixteenth summer for the program, building on strong and successful years of academic interaction. THRUST is an eight-week program held on the Fisk University campus at the corner of 17th Ave. N. and Jackson St., offering applied/”hands-on” learning experiences which incorporates a deep relationship with a college environment.
Girls Using Scientific Tools for Opportunities in S.T.E.M.
(Science, Technology, Enginneering, and Mathematics)
GUSTO is a SSCDC (Spruce Street Community Development Corporation) endeavor concerned with providing enriching activities that expose students to—and prepares them for—careers in math and science disciplines. A sibling program to THRUST, GUSTO is an 8-week summer program for girls entering grades 5 through high school, from schools and neighborhoods across Nashville, and offers instruction in math and the sciences through hands-on games and activities. GUSTO gives girls a head start in math and science, while fostering self-confidence and positive peer relationships.
Pre-College Summer Institute
For families who want a summer filled with enrichment activities that will help their K-4th grade children better prepare for courses in mathematics, science, and reading/language arts along with fun-filled academic and physical activities for 8-weeks during the summer.
PROPOSED CLASSES & ACTIVITIES
June 4 - July 26, 2018
Building on strong and successful years of academic interaction. THRUST, GUSTO, and PCSI are eight-week programs offering applied/ “hands-on” learning experiences which incorporate a deep relationship with a college environment at historic Fisk University.
- Applied mathematics and science, communications, tools for success, recreation, financial management, and project engineering
- Swimming, field trips, sports, guest speakers, current events, debate, pre-engineering, summer reading book talks and journal notes.
Additionally, our participants receive:
- Grade level assessment in reading, writing, and math for more than 150 public school students from 5th-12th grade. An individualized approach to addressing their weaknesses is planned and implemented.
- All students receive physical and health education appropriate for their grade level, and forum presentations to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- All participants fulfill their summer reading list; if they do not have one, we provide one.
- All participants are involved in fun field trips
We track the performance of our participants throughout subsequent academic years until high school graduation and also their post-high school acceptances to college.
All programs will operate from June 4th through July 26th.
The full price per participant is only $700.00 + $25.00 application fee!
Programs operate from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.. You can arrive as early as 7:30 a.m. / leave as late as 5:30 p.m.
New Livingston Hall at Fisk University
Corner of 17th Ave. N. and Jackson St.
Nashville TN 37208
Phone: (615) 329-8605
Spruce Street Baptist Church
504 Spruce Street
Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: (662) 329-4107
Phillips St., Nashville, TN 37203
Phone: (615) 557-5194