To Harness, Retain, Understand, Sustain and Teach
This program recruits boys in 5th through 12th grades from underrepresented groups into an 8-week summer-science camp. These projects use the community organizations to strongly encourage the engagement and participation of parents. This is the TWEFTH summer for the program, building on strong and successful years of academic interaction. THRUST is an eight-week program held on the Fisk University campus at the corner of 17th Ave. N. and Jackson St., offering applied/”hands-on” learning experiences which incorporates a deep relationship with a college environment. THRUST will operate from June 8th through July 31st. The full price per participant is only $600.00!
June 6 - July 28, 2017
Building on strong and successful years of academic interaction. THRUST & gusto are eight-week (pcsi is six-weeks) programs offering applied/”hands-on” learning experiences which incorporate a deep relationship with a college environment at historic Fisk University.
PROPOSED CLASSES & ACTIVITIES
- applied mathematics and science, communications, tools for success, recreation, financial management, and project engineering
- swimming, field trips, sports, guest speakers, current events, debate, pre-engineering, summer reading book talks and journal notes
Programs operate from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.. You can arrive as early as 7:30 a.m. / leave as late as 5:30 p.m..
THRUST will operate from the New Livingston Hall at Fisk University:
• Corner of 17th Ave. N. and Jackson St., Nashville TN 37208
• 615.329.8605; email: email@example.com
• Monday through Friday, beginning June 8th through July 31st
Completed applications including a $25.00 (non-refundable) application fee should be received by APRIL 15th to
better insure placement. Applications thereafter will be accepted until we reach capacity. Space is limited, so applications are considered on a first come-first serve basis. if all spaces are filled, applications will only be accepted for inclusion on our waiting/mailing list.
$600.00 per child for THRUST; T-shirt and activity fees are included in the tuition. All fees should be paid with a CASHIER’S CHECK OR MONEY ORDER. TO PROTECT ALL, PERSONAL CHECKS AND CASH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Please make remittance payable to the:
- THRUST Math & Science Program
Payment plans are available, but full payment is due on or before June 30th. (NO EXCEPTIONS)
Participants requesting need-based assistance (only applies to the thrust & gusto programs)
INCOME-BASED FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE WILL BE CONSIDERED (DEPENDENT ON FUND AVAILABILITY AND ACCORDING TO SCALE),
BUT IS NOT GUARANTEED. WITHOUT EXCEPTION, REQUESTS MUST INCLUDE PROOF OF NEED\ TAX INFORMATION AS REQUIRED.
Speak with a program representative
- Grade level assessment in reading, writing, and math for more than 150 public school students from 5th-12th grade. An individualized approach to addressing their weaknesses is planned and implemented.
- All students receive physical and health education appropriate for their grade level by certified health and physical education organizations, and Forum presentations to promote a healthy lifestyle.
- All participants fulfill their summer reading list; if they do not have one, we provide one.
- All participants are involved in fun field trips
- All students will preview a math, science, and English class that they will be enrolled in the Fall 2015. We tract the performance of our GUSTO participants throughout subsequent academic years until high school graduation and also their post-high school acceptances to college.