Gender Studies is an interdisciplinary program that encompasses feminism, the history and theory of gender and sexuality, masculinity studies, LGBTQ+ studies, and any gender-related topics in the contemporary world.
Where do our minors go?
- Professional schools (Ex: Georgetown law, business, international institutions); Graduate school (Ex: Johns Hopkins, Eastern Illinois U); Careers in nonprofits, business, medical fields, journalism, academia . . . and more
- OUT:loud gender and sexuality student organization
- Some activities offered throughout the year: Women’s March; OUT in Front conference at Vanderbilt; outreach with local girls’ and women’s empowerment groups; OUT:Spoken – sexual assault awareness event; LGBTQ+ history week with TSU
Requirements for the gender studies minor, in addition to the university degree requirements are outlined within the Undergraduate Bulletin. Required courses are listed below:
Required courses (16 cr.)
|Course Number||Course Name||Hours|
|HSS 205||Intro to Wm & Gender Stds||4 cr.|
|ART 250||Women in Art||4 cr.|
|HIS 240||Women in Civil Rights||4 cr.|
|ENG 240||Women & Lit.||4 cr.|
|PSY 231||Psychology of Gender||4 cr.|
|ENG 280||W Gender and Sexuality in Literature||4 cr.|
|? ?||Women and Protest||4 cr|
|? ?||Gender and Sexuality in Comics||4 cr|
|? ?||Black Women Novelists||4 cr|
|? ?||Black Masculinity||4 cr|
1. No course will be counted twice in satisfying the minor requirements. If you are taking any of the courses listed above as part of required courses for your major or for a CORE requirement, it cannot count toward the 16 hour requirement for the minor. Please see the Coordinator of Gender Studies minor if other considerations are needed. Other courses that relate to the minor may be approved by request and submission of the course syllabi.
2. The minor is housed as additional area of study for a B.A. degree Be sure your major coincides with this degree.
3. A C or better must be earned in the course in order to receive credit toward the minor.