International Admissions

International EducationThank you for your interest in Fisk University. In order to become an international student at Fisk you must first submit application for admission. The application process is the same for all prospective students. Please go to admission’s page or click here for more information Note that International Student Services is NOT involved in the admissions process. However, ISS is ready to answer many of your questions and concerns about Form I-20 (certificate of eligibility), payment of SEVIS I-901fees and visa process.

Eligibility Requirements to Issue Form I-20 to International Students

  • Applicants must be admitted for a full course of study.
  • Students must provide reliable financial documentation to prove that they have financial resources adequate to meet all expenses while studying at Fisk University.
  • Actual documentation must indicate that funds exist at least for the student’s first year of study at Fisk.
  • Once your financial documents have been approved, your I-20 will be processed and mailed to you. Sign and date your Form I-20 at the bottom of page-1 and use it to apply for F-1visa.

Note: In addition to tuition & fees, students are required to pay in full for room and board (meals) before they are allowed into the residence halls.

  1. Acceptable Financial Support and Documentation
  2. Acquiring F-1 Status
  3. Obtaining F-1 Visa
  • Scholarships—Documentation must be an official award letter from the school or sponsoring agency.
  • Family or Personal Funds—Documentation must be an original bank statement, letter from the bank on the bank letterhead and certificate of finances.
  • In addition, Fisk requires advance enrollment and housing deposit of $700 prior to issuing Form I-20.
  • If abroad: Enter the U.S. with your I-20 and an F-1 visa obtained at a U.S. Embassy or consulate in your country.
  • If already in the U.S.: Send the I-20 to USCIS (U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services) with an application for change of nonimmigrant status.
  • Need an I-20 and acceptance letter from Fisk University.
  • Pay SEVIS I-901 fees. All initial students are required to pay the SEVIS fee. For more information, go to:
  • Complete the online visa application and then pay visa application fee
  • A passport valid for at least 6 months
  • Proof of financial ability to cover the cost of education and living expenses in the U.S.
  • Make an appointment for visa interview and take all the above documents to the nearest U.S. Embassy or consulate in your country to apply for F-1 visa.

For more information about U.S. visa application process, go to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country.