The W.E.B. Du Bois General University Honors Program, designed for students who have demonstrated academic capability, fosters excellence in scholarship throughout the student’s college career by encouraging and promoting honors studies and activities in the total life of the University.
The program gives concrete expression to the conviction that academic excellence is the hallmark of the institution’s educational enterprise.
Emphasis is placed on:
- Broadly defined educational experiences, intensive and extensive in nature;
- Academic performance that is scholastically sound, clearly and effectively communicated, and relevant to the concerns of the times;
- Individual initiative, including self organization and direction, coupled with cooperative teamwork in a community of scholars
Benefits for Students in the Honors Program
Students who complete all requirements of the honors program graduate with “General University Honors,” a designation that is listed in the commencement program and that indicates exceptional scholastic performance marked by individual initiative, creative ability, keen intellectual insight, and excellence in oral and written expression.
In addition to this recognition, benefits to students in the honors program include:
- 24-hour access to the honors building, including a computer lab, a kitchen, and a quiet study space
- An honors residence hall
- Early registration (honors students can register for classes before the regular registration period opens)
- An “Honors Student of the Month” featured on the Fisk website
- Honors sections of CORE courses
- Honors program apparel
- Coaching and competitiveness to apply for prestigious scholarships
For more information please email Dr. Patrick C. Fleming, director of the honors program, at email@example.com