The Honorable Helen Shores Lee ’62 to Keynote at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual Convocation
On Thursday, January 16, 2014, 10:00 a.m., the Honorable Helen Shores Lee ’62 will deliver the keynote address at Fisk University’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual Convocation.
Following the Convocation, a reception and book signing will be held at noon in the Appleton Room of historic Jubilee Hall. Judge Lee is the author of The Gentle Giant of Dynamite Hill: The Untold Story of Arthur Shores and His Family's Fight for Civil Rights.
Judge Lee became a judge in Jefferson County, Alabama in January of 2003. After her graduation from Fisk University in 1962, Judge Lee earned her J.D. degree at the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University in 1987. Before becoming a judge, she worked as a clinical psychologist for sixteen years.
Judge Lee has dedicated her life to community service. Among her many areas of service are the following:
- Chair of UAB Minority Health and Research Advisory Council (MHRC);
- Board of Trustees for Leadership Birmingham;
- Board of Directors for Campfire, Inc.;
- Board of Directors for American Red Cross, Birmingham Chapter;
- Board of Directors of United Cerebral Palsy (UCP);
- Board of Directors for Oasis;
- Member of Alabama Lawyers Hall of Fame Selection Committee; and
- Rotary International.
In addition to her service with various community agencies, Judge Lee has been honored by the following organizations:
- Southern Women Committee of Fifty for community service;
- American Federation of Government Employee, AFL-CIO;
- Cumberland School of Law for dedication and commitment to the advancement of legal scholarship;
- East Brownville Community for outstanding support of community activities;
- Lawson State Community College Meritorious Achievement Award;
- National Conference for Community and Justice of Alabama for Outstanding Community Service;
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Legacy of Leadership Award for her commitment to a stronger community;
- Girls, Inc., She Knows Where She's Going Award; and
- Governor Bob Riley Commendation for dedication to justice and community service.
Judge Lee is active in the American Bar Association, the Alabama State Bar, the Birmingham Bar Association, and the Magic City Bar Association.
- Fisk University and the Los Angeles Alumni Association of Fisk Univeristy
- Fisk University has made great strides in past year
- Prelaw Seminar at Fisk University
- Keynote at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual Convocation
- SACSCOC Reaffirms University’s Accreditation
- Last Night's Art Talk: Alicia Henry and Jaamal Sheats at Fisk
- Fisk University Presents “Christmas at Fisk”
- Fisk Alumni Article Featured in the Marin Independent Journal
- Stieglitz Collection Unveiled at Fisk’s Partner, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
- Fisk Homecoming Schedule
- Outlook Email Outage
- Fisk Homecoming
- Allstate Quotes for Education
- Nashvillians reflect on March on Washington, Martin Luther King Jr
- Fisk University Celebrates its Trailblazing Students
- Honorary Degree Nominations
- Fisk University receives 2013 R&D 100 Award
- Fisk AVP Jonathan M. Frost named a finalist for 2013 NELA Awards
- Golf Outing with Fisk President H. James Williams
- Fisk Alumna Mary K. Bush featured on television program