Honorary Degree Nominations
The Fisk University Committee on Honorary Degrees is currently accepting nominations for honorary degree recipients to be awarded at the May 2014 Commencement. An honorary degree is one of higher education’s most sacred accolades. Fisk University awards honorary degrees, on a highly selective basis, to distinguished individuals who deserve special recognition for outstanding achievement in a field or activity consonant with the mission of the University.
Honorary degrees recognize distinguished scholarship and/or accomplishments in the humanities, the arts, the sciences,the professions, public service, and service to the institution, to society,and to mankind. Because an honorary degree is an academic award that reflects the high ideals and values of Fisk University, the recipients shall exemplify qualities that embrace Diversity, Excellence, Teamwork, Accountability, Integrity, Leadership, and Service.
The goal of inviting an honoree for commencement is to bring credit to the university, inspire the graduates, and reflect the diversity of the University and the nation. The three criteria used for selecting honorary degree recipients are listed below. Nominees should distinguish themselves in at least two of the three categories:
1) Distinguished professional, scholarly, intellectual, or creative achievement
2) Demonstrated interest in activities that contribute to the public good, including public service and/or philanthropy
3) Exceptional and distinctive achievements on behalf of Fisk University
Nominations may come from all members of the University community. Each nomination must be accompanied by a clear statement, justifying the conferral of the degree, the nominee’s curriculum vitae, and any supporting documentation referencing their accomplishments. The deadline for submitting nominations for the 2014 Commencement ceremony is September 16, 2013.
Completed nomination forms and any supporting documentation may be submitted electronically: Click link to complete form. Hard copies may be sent to:
Dr. Princilla Evans Morris
Office of the Provost
1000 17th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37208
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Although many distinguished candidates are nominated each year, not all nominees will be recognized; therefore, all nominations will be kept confidential at all stages of the process and the nominee should NOT be notified of the nomination.
If you have any questions on the nomination process, please call the Office of the Provost at (615)329-8681.
Learn more about the Honorary Degrees.
- From a Spark to a Flame:
- Trustee Challenge - Update
- New Student Orientation at-a-glance Fall 2014
- Fisk trustee offers to match $500,000 in donations
- Fisk University Pre-College Summer Program
- Baccalaureate and Commencement 2014
- Gables Elementary
- Press Release 04/24/14
- Press Release 04/10/14
- Fisk wins HCASC challenge
- Retool Your School
- 2014 Scholars Weekend Schedule
- Campus Safety Awareness Week
- 85th Annual Spring Arts Festival - Schedule
- Business Week at Fisk University
- 2014 Honors Convocation
- 16th Annual Fisk Research Symposium (FRS) - Call for Abstracts
- Fisk University and the Los Angeles Alumni Association of Fisk Univeristy
- Fisk University has made great strides in past year
- Prelaw Seminar at Fisk University
- Keynote at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Annual Convocation
- SACSCOC Reaffirms University’s Accreditation
- Last Night's Art Talk: Alicia Henry and Jaamal Sheats at Fisk
- Fisk University Presents “Christmas at Fisk”
- Fisk Alumni Article Featured in the Marin Independent Journal
- Stieglitz Collection Unveiled at Fisk’s Partner, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
- Fisk Homecoming Schedule
- Outlook Email Outage
- Fisk Homecoming
- Allstate Quotes for Education
- Nashvillians reflect on March on Washington, Martin Luther King Jr
- Fisk University Celebrates its Trailblazing Students
- Honorary Degree Nominations
- Fisk University receives 2013 R&D 100 Award
- Fisk AVP Jonathan M. Frost named a finalist for 2013 NELA Awards
- Golf Outing with Fisk President H. James Williams
- Fisk Alumna Mary K. Bush featured on television program