Admission to the Fisk University Music Discipline is dependent upon an application and musical audition in addition to meeting the general requirements for admission to the University.
- Submit all general materials to the Office of Admission.
- Submit application to the Music Discipline which consists of a letter of application, a letter of recommendation from a music teacher, and a repertoire list.
- Audition (live or taped) in the Principal Applied and Secondary Applied areas. Application should be received by June 15 for the Fall Semester; by November 1 for the Spring Semester.
- Take the Theory Placement Exam, administered the week before classes begin.
- Transfer students must meet the requirements above. Applied study and theory courses taken at institutions other than Fisk must be validated by an audition or placement exam to count toward graduation. Credits are accepted, upon evaluation, from other NASM-accredited institutions.
One Italian song or aria
One art song in English, French, or German
One Negro Spiritual, comparable to solo arrangements by Edward Boatner, H. T. Burleigh, Moses Hogan, or John W. Work III
Two solo works from contrasting style periods
One prepared etude
One prepared instrumental solo
Two pieces prepared
a minor scale
a major scale in two different Keys (i.e. Key of "C" and the Key of "A")